Monday, June 27, 2005

Warranty Void

For those of you who haven't personally experienced my extreme nerdiness, I offer up exhibit A.

Modding.

Modding is not, though some may confuse it with, MUDing. Modding is short for "modifying" while MUDing is an acronym that stands for "Multiple User Dungeon". In short, modding is for people that like to use tools such as grinders, jigsaws, heat guns, hot glue guns, soldering iron, and various chemicals and paints, while MUDing is for fags.

This is my XBOX before I went nuts on it. Pretty basic, looks black. Boring as having your way with a cadaver.



This is my modded XBOX.


As you can very well see, I painted it. That's two coats of primer, three coats of what's supposed to be metallic red (which it isn't), and three coats of clear coat.

Next you'd probably notice that the gem in the center of the console is clear. That was some tough shit to make. I took the old one and sprayed copious amounts of Easy-Off! Oven Cleaner.

There's also two small windows, one for the blue light (which I installed by the way) to shine out of the clear jewel, and another window over the DVD drive. I also cut holes into the DVD drive so I can see the game spinning when I turn on the XBOX. It isn't just a hole in the XBOX, it's got clear lexan to protect from dust.

Also, if I don't feel like having the blue cathode on I can turn it off with the switch located on the top right hand corner of the box. HOT SHIT, huh?

It went all smooth until I turned it on after the 5th time of fidgeting with the lighting. When I turned it on it tried to boot three times but failed, then the light on the front started flashing red then green the back to red then back to green. First thing that came to my mind:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

So I took it apart and put it back together. I can do that in about 5 minutes now by the way. Turns out that one of the cables was loose. Stupid. Anyway, it works perfectly and looks like a dream.

Who wants me to void their warranty? Now taking orders.

5 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger jona rhica said...

i don't have anything witty to say.

that's just class, though. good job, villa.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger n3rd-0 said...

Bob Villa of the electronics modding world.

i like that.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger n3rd-0 said...

Awwww... Dawn... That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Or maybe it's this crazy-assed weather?

 
At 1:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks dope cuz. I'd get you to void the warranty on the X-box I play but it's Matt's, so I don't know if that'd go over too well.
-Chris

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger n3rd-0 said...

Thanks, Chris. Matt would be pissed if I did it and fucked it up. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters