Tuesday, July 11, 2006

He was a great Christopher Reeves

I saw Superman Returns and I didn't love it. Spiderman 1 and 2, yes, loved. But Superman? Not so much. Here's why.

1. I saw it in Imax and the best special effects were showcased in the previews. (If you too saw it in Imax, remember the grass from that ant movie preview?) Superman Returns was 3D as much as pop-up books are "3D".

2. This felt more like Lois Lane Returns rather than the acutal title. Yes the love triangle is an interesting dynamic, but if I wanted to see shit like that I could easily stay home and watch 90210 re-runs on Tvtropolis. I paid for a front row seat to see the Golden Boy of Krypton lay a smack down on and equally powered bad ass.

3. There wasn't enough action. I wanted to see supes duke it out, not lift and catch shit.

4. SUPER BABIES ARE STUPID.

It wasn't bad, not great. I guess the word I'm looking for is "servicable". I think the main issue I have with this movie was that this flick lacked the charm of the Reeves flicks.

Instead of making this movie, which is at its core a parable for the modern family, instead of this "wrestling with ones own demons" genre of flick, Singer should have put his energy into a Batman VS Superman flick. Which, by the way, Singer said he'd like to take a stab at.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters