Monday, March 21, 2005

Perpetuating Asian Stereotypes

If you’ve ever been to PAC mall (Pacific Mall) you’d know that trying to find a store you visited last weekend in that forever shifting labyrinth is a practice in futility. I was on a quest to find computer mods as I wandered through the glass abyss. I tooled around for about an hour and in that time I was made uncomfortable by the hordes of Chinese staring at me then glancing away surely thinking, “He’s not Chinese.” I got over the discomfort quickly when I realized, I’m taller than 75% of these people.

Finding the store I saw suction-cupped to the glass door, to my disappointment, a sign that had scrawled upon it countless indecipherable Chinese characters and the time “12:30”. It was 12, so I decided to take a gamble and wait around. After watching a small boy no more than 10 years old dig for gold in his nostrils, with fingers from BOTH hands mind you (thumbs included in the mining party), I was just about to give up but decided to wander again. I came across another sign in another window a little ways away. The sign being in English my greedy eyes ate it up. The picture is a little blurry, I apologize, I took it with my camera phone. For those of you who are having trouble reading it
  1. You are going blind, seek medical attention
  2. The sign reads, “We’re Microwavable! Warm and Soothing Friends”

I thought about it as I walked back to the now open computer store… Why would you want a microwaveable stuffed toy? Then it came to me, “Oh! So that they’ll be warm when you play with them. Ingenious!” I always heralded PAC mall for the deals, the bartering, and the fact that you can get shit there that you can’t get anywhere else in the GTA. Microwavable stuffed toys. Another hit for PAC mall. Ingenious, I thought. Then I changed my mind. What do you see in the basket the sign is referring to?


Some cats and dogs.

Now really, Is it a good idea to have “microwavable” cats and dogs in the largest Chinese Indoor Mall in North America? Doesn’t this only further perpetuate the myth that Asians like to eat family pets? And beyond that, what kind of message does this send the children!

Warning: The following is a microfiction intended to illustrate the above point.

Little Oku decided one day that the family dog Lucky wasn’t as warm and cuddly as her microwavable stuffed animals.

Grandmother, upon seeing what little Oku had done, was too late. All grandmother could say, as Oku asked what was wrong with Lucky, was, *“Precious Oku, Lucky wasn’t so lucky after all.”


All joking aside, stereotyping is bullshit. It's for racists and lazy people. Not all Asians are bad drivers. Some of us suck at math. Not all of us know karate, ju-jitsu, taekwando, or kung fu. Although Asian women are viewed as exotic, mysterious, and subservient, and through this are thus imbued with an inherent sexual allure, it is not true that all Asian women are freaky-deaky. To dispell the myth that all Asians have baby-sized penises, I submit mine. It's huge. We're talking satisfy-a-cow, did-you-grow-up-near-a-nuclear-reactor? grade stuff. But most importantly of all, Chinese people do not eat dogs. Nor do they eat cats.

Filipinos do. (dogs anyway, and not all of us. And no, that's not why I breed german shepherds. dick.)

While I don’t support racism if you have to be racist because you were brought up in a small town in Belleville where they still do minstrel shows then please, at least be accurate.

*Translated from Japanese

18 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your heart's bleeding all over my shoes, Yves.

You want to talk sterotypes? I was raised Irish Catholic so I'm automatically one of two things (or sometimes both)

1) A drunk with an insatiable love of potatoes in any form.

or

2) A proud, gun-toting member of the IRA.

Okay, so the first one's true (in fact I think I'm drunk right now and it's only 8:20 am - adding half a bottle of Bailey's to my coffee this morning was probably a bad idea) but number 2? C'mon! I don't even know how to work a gun! I mean, my brother is trying to teach me but, so far, I'm all thumbs.

Dawn - upholding Irish stereotypes since June 18, 1982 (I can't be bothered to be ashamed of myself.)

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger n3rd-0 said...

Personally, i like stereotypes. they segregate AND entertain! You say I'm excessively sympathetic toward those who claim to be underprivileged or exploited (bleeding heart) like it's a bad thing! Dawn, Dawn, Dawn... you cold hearted "shakes" hater.

And according to the stereotypes of Irish Catholics that you've so kindly provide, I guess I'm Irish Catholic. Minus the IRA bit.

As for the the pride in asian shit, I ain't hatin' y0. I don't exactly have "AzN Pride", but I will admit to being p0wer'd by rice since 1980.

holla front.

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people may only see microwaveable stuffed toys just for what they are...microwaveable stuffed toys.

If you really think about it, the toys were just meant to be warm, as opposed to be an immitation of 'heating up leftovers for dinner' thing.

But you gotta give it to pacific mall and the asians (tho racist/stereotyp) to think about everything stupid and trivial...and be able to market the dang thing.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger n3rd-0 said...

C:

You're not Chinese?!!~!?@! Kidding.

K:

"Some" might only see things for what they are, but I have superhuman vision that allows me to see satire in any mild mannered person, place, object, or happening.

But what I was getting at was not the idea that they were immitations of "warming up dinner leftovers" it was the implication that they could be seen as exactly that due to existing stereotypes.

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And according to the stereotypes of Irish Catholics that you've so kindly provide, I guess I'm Irish Catholic. Minus the IRA bit.

You and everyone else I know, my friend. I tend to keep pace with drunks. It's my shtick.

Dawn

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger n3rd-0 said...

Dan:

Sure Dan. As if a Water Worm is just a "Water Worm" Look how agressive the red one looks. Not to mention the shape of the head...

Manas:

Hmmm... your peeing of the pants might explain the strange dream I had. Old man in a diaper chasing me through Dominion. And deng could that geezer book!

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMGGGGG.....that was freaking hilarious.....stereotypes are bad.....but then again....i'm a hipocrit...cause everytime I see a brown ugly guy...i imagine him with the most strongest indian accent.....even when I tell my friends about a nasty guy that tried to pick me up...i gotta give the guy an accent ....it makes the story more funnier...gotta luv the accents....

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

see spelling error in above post. Indian accents are h0t. They make me weeeeeeeeet.

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rarr. funny stuff.

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A small boy no more than 10 years old digging for gold in his nostrils with fingers from BOTH hands mind you (thumbs included in the mining party)"
LOL! Now THAT, my dear cousin, is GOLD.
-Chris

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

were you waiting for me to reply?

i don't really have anything to say except that asian guys have small penises. you? an anomaly? probably not, dinky.

friends?

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger n3rd-0 said...

Oh bitter, culturally self-loathing, Jona. There's no need to lash out at the size of my penis simply because you have more hair on your chest than I do.

Friends.

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my penis is bigger than yours.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger n3rd-0 said...

you and your verbal pissing contests.

I concede that your penis is bigger than mine, but only in terms of ratio to the rest of your body as you are a dwarf and I am not.

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what you're saying is that my appendages are highly disproportionate to my torso?

no wonder i'm always leaning forward.

have the chinese come up with decorations to dangle from peepees? i want something in hello kitty...

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger n3rd-0 said...

Yes, that's what I'm saying Jona. I actually found a picture of you in the buff.

h0tness.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMMFAO

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha. I don't think they make those microwavable toys so that they are warm when you play with 'em. I mean, PM makes some pretty weird shit, but I think those are filled with those special aroma beads so that you can put them on your neck and they sooth you and your sore muscles. But yeah I guess that had nothing to do with the point you were making. :)
- amanda s.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters